Saturday, February 26, 2011

Uncle!

Ok, I now have my PHD in handling farm emergencies 101. Between rain, mud, flooding, hurt husband and baby calves I haven't had a lot of time to do any picture taking or horse pampering.

First off my husband hurt his back. O yeah, if you have ever been married or lived with a man you know what I'm going through. While I love my husband and feel bad that he hurt his back, well... men have a real flare for dramatics. So for the past few days I have been keeping the farm going by myself. I also had to deal with loosing a calf this week. Yep, cutest little thing that was looking really healthy until Tuesday night. I took Ely out for a ride and decided to go check the cattle. Found momma guarding a lifeless baby. Sad but it happens.

The rain and mud will be the death of me. We have had nothing but rain this week so the pastures and stalls flooded. Thank goodness the horses and cattle were smart enough to get into the high pastures up by the barn. The stalls didn't flood so much as they became water logged when there was so much water outside of the barn that it decided to start coming up through the floor mats. Oh what a mess. I stepped into the stall yesterday morning to pour grain into Daya's feeder and I literally felt like I was walking on a water bed. I didn't have to look down to figure out what the squishy sound was either. What sickens me more was the fact that the night before I had stripped every stall even limed under the mats.... I give! UNCLE!

So needless to say I'm exhausted and will try to get some pictures up sooner than later. I have yet to get any of the trails or other rodeo ponies here. I'm heading to bed and hoping for some sunshine.

1 comment:

  1. Good grief, you've had a time of it! Of course you were able to handle everything - you are a woman. :-) I hope things settle down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete