Sunday, July 11, 2010

Im surrounded by divas!

Well its been over a month since I last updated everyone on how the Daya’s filly has been doing. Sorry for taking so long. Things at the barn and home have gone absolutely crazy. I’m up to 4 horses (all mares and all in training!) plus Daya and her diva filly, which means between feeding, cleaning stalls, training, doing my good little housewife deeds and crazy weekend adventures with the hubby and family, I just haven’t had time to do anything! This is actually the first time I've even been able to think about relaxing in what seems like over a month. I have lots of pictures coming up soon and some new videos I plan on adding to my youtube channel soon.

Daya’s filly is growing like a weed and hasn’t been the easiest little girl to work with until here recently. We ended up calling her Lootah which is Native American for the word red (I don’t even want to think about her registry name yet). My husbands grandfather recently passed away and was a horse lover to the very core. I don’t think there was ever a day when he didn’t ask me if that foal was on the ground yet. He was so excited to see her but didn’t make it to see her born. His nickname was Red and the entire community called him that, so I thought it would be a fitting name for the new filly and my husband loved the idea of naming her after his crazy, horse loving grandpa.

So Lootah it is and boy is she a little firecracker! Just like her mother. Sensitive, smart and loves being loved. She is also very dominant!! Only a month old and already trying to push the other mares around. If one gets to close to her and mommy, she snakes that head around and pins her ears so flat you would think she was born without them. I’ve been trying to get this on video but have had no luck.

The first few weeks Daya was giving me problems when it came time to work with the foal. In the beginning the foal didn’t mind being rubbed all over at all but Daya did. She never showed any aggressive behavior but would put herself in between me and foal when entering her stall or making the baby move away from me when out in pasture. Within a few days the baby would not approach me and would panic when I tried to approach her. So I decided I would ignore the foal complete, pamper momma and let both of them learn to relax around me again. Worked like a charm! I am now thought of as the best butt scratcher in the barn by Lootah and Daya doesn’t care what I do as long as her hay net is full and every hair on her 1200 lb body is neatly in place… What have I got myself into? I’ve got 2 full blown Divas on my hands…

1 comment:

  1. So good to get an update from you! I have been wondering how things are going. I love the sentiment behind Lootah's name - very touching and appropriate. I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your divas!

    ReplyDelete